Tis The Season To Be Shopping

Chloe Finn, Staff Writer

Two types of people exist around the last couple weeks of November; those who focus on the food associated with Thanksgiving and those who focus on the deals associated with Black Friday shopping. For some, Black Friday shopping is an annual tradition, and for others, they could not care less and want to focus on the Thanksgiving leftovers.

However, Black Friday is not just about the deals, for there is a major effect on the economy. In 2018, the average shopper spent $1,007.24 contributing to the total of $717.5 billion which is a 4.3% increase from last year. Black Friday shopping also creates many seasonal job openings at the various stores which also impacts the economy greatly.

When asked about the tradition of Black Friday shopping, Junior Rose Mercader expresses, “I like Black Friday because there are many deals and steals you can get, I spent hundreds on clothes, and I saved a lot of money because of the time period. Also, Black Friday is a great time to buy Christmas presents because of the low prices.” In retrospect, when asked about Black Friday shopping, Sophomore Madison Webb, who has never participated in the event before, states, “I would like to go just to see how it is and maybe get some good deals. I don’t have my license yet, and my parents refuse to go anywhere on Black Friday.”

People typically view Black Friday shopping as either a tradition they must partake in or a waste of time and money. Memorable events can also occur during shopping. “Someone threw up at Kohl’s on Thanksgiving day,” recalls Rose Mercader about her most memorable about Black Friday shopping.

Overall, Black Friday this year was a huge economic success with a 4.3% increase from last year, and the creation of numerous seasonal jobs for employees. Black Friday is also a tradition many people partake in after their Thanksgiving meal on Thursday and then on Friday to get the best deals and steals of the season.