A Sit-down with Regan Eigenrauch

Jada Outland, Sports Reporter

The 2021 Carterville Volleyball team had the best season in school history after winning the Sectional Title. A significant contributor to this team was Sophomore, Regan Eignerauch, who we sat down with after the season. Eignerauch was an outside hitter and played in three of the team’s rotations. She was the only underclassman that not only dressed varsity but also received playing time. We time out with Eignerauch to talk to her about her success at such a young age.

Do you enjoy being the only underclassman on the varsity team, or do you wish that other underclassmen would dress?

A lot of the time, I did wish there were other underclassmen dressing. At the beginning of the season, I was so scared to let down all the upperclassmen, and being the only underclassmen, I felt out of place sometimes. As the season went on, I somewhat forgot that I was the only underclassman on varsity. I do wish that other underclassmen could have dressed, but I’m glad I got the experience, and I got a lot closer to the upperclassmen.

Do you ever feel high amounts of pressure being the only underclassman?

Yes, mainly from the beginning of the season. Most of the pressure was not from my teammates but from me. I had to do everything perfectly, or else I thought I did not belong on the team. If I made one mistake, I would break down and pick apart everything wrong with my game. After a while, my teammates and coaches reassured me that I belonged on the team and one mistake could not define my game. 

What was the most challenging game for you this season? Why?

The most challenging game for me this season was probably the first round of regionals against Du Quoin. It was my first time playing in a regional match, plus playing against Du Quoin is always a challenge. I did not play as well as I usually did. I was super nervous all day for that game, I could barely take notes in my classes because my hand was shaking so much.

What game did you look forward to the most this season? Why?

The game I was looking forward to the most was the super-sectional game against Mater Dei. After winning sectionals, I was so ready for the game, and it was the furthest we had ever gone in history. I was super nervous, obviously, but the excitement was overpowering that. Plus the adrenalin from beating Nashville just two nights before and that we were playing in Nashville for super sectionals.

Did you ever face any doubt about the 2021 season? Why or why not?

I did doubt us a little sometimes. At the beginning of the season, we played well, but we didn’t play to our full potential. After a while, we kind of just clicked and started playing not just for ourselves but for each other as well. 

How has the 2021 volleyball season impacted your life?

The 2021 season was one of the best experiences ever. I would not trade it for the world. I will always remember this team. It has shown me the importance of trust and willingness in groups. Everyone came in ready to play every day, and I could not ask for better people to play my first varsity season with. 

How does it feel to have been on the first-ever Carterville Volleyball team that won sectionals?

It feels amazing. When people look back on us in the future, they are going to remember our team. We not only were the first team to win sectionals but also had the most wins in a season. We had a historical year, and I am so glad to say I not only played on the team but as a sophomore. Sometimes it still feels unreal that we won, but when I look back on the pictures and videos from that night, all the memories come flooding back.