Linda Drust: Coach of the Year

Madeline Liss, HS Publications: Newspaper Editor

In early October, Carterville High Schools’ very own varsity cheerleading coach, Linda Drust, received the incredible honor of being named the 2021 IHSA and NFHS Illinois Cheerleading Coach of the Year. This award was given to her by the Illinois High School Cheerleading Coaches Organization (IHSCCO).

Drust participated in high school cheerleading at CHS herself and has been a part of the cheerleading world ever since. When Drust was in high school, the team was strictly a sideline cheer team. “However, I do have a lot of fond memories,” Drust says, “We had great football teams when I was in high school. I was also on teams that truly began the era of partner stunts and pyramids. We were actually allowed to build structures that were three levels high and my flyer actually stood on my back and did a back tuck off my back.”

After high school, Drust pursued a career as an educator for 35 years until she decided to retire in 2016. Following her impressive career, Drust continued to hold the position of head coach of the cheer team at CHS. She now has been coaching a total of 19 years, ten of which she has held the position of head coach for the high school. When asked her favorite part about coaching she responded, “I enjoy everything about coaching. I love the challenge of teaching new skills, the organization of summer practices, sideline cheer, and competition season. But my absolute favorite is watching our team perform during competition season.” 

Receiving an award such as this one would encourage anyone to continue striving for greatness, and that is just what Drust is going to do. “Fans should expect to see the cheerleaders back in action at football games, basketball games, and in-person cheer competitions,” something that was not possible last year.  “We will be stunting, tumbling, etc. in a traditional format. We also have high expectations to return to the IHSA State Competition this year for the seventh consecutive year and compete for another state championship,” Drust says. Her cheerleaders all report having similar hopes for success this upcoming season. 

As stated, receiving this award is a major honor. Senior cheerleader Madison Meyer says, “Linda is one of the most supportive coaches I have ever had, and she deserves every bit of this award. It makes me proud to know that all of her hard work has not gone unnoticed.”

When asked how she feels to receive the honor, Drust responded, “My first reaction was of surprise because I’m not one to focus on personal awards. However, what I’m honored about is that years of hard work and dedication are being recognized by others. My current assistant is my daughter, Amy Bastien. I share this award with her as well as our overall program.” The Carterville community has high hopes for the cheerleading program this season and can not wait to see all that they accomplish.