I Am Part of the Resistance Inside Publications

Anonymous

{Nothing expressed in this essay is in the effort to harm or insult Ms. Donohue’s work. This piece is strictly satirical, and is meant to poke fun at the current political climate while relating it to the atmosphere of Carterville High School. Ms. Donohue is a kind, compassionate, and encouraging teacher, and nothing said in this essay is meant to harm her reputation.}

Carterville Publications is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, an official member, whose identity is known to us and whose position could be jeopardized by its disclosure. We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers.

——————————————–

The bigger concern is not what Ms. Donohue has done to the editor in chief’s position, but rather what we as reporters have allowed her to do to us. We have sunk low with her and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.

The result is a two-track Publication.

The dilemma — which she does not fully grasp — is that many of the editors are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of her agenda.

I would know. I am one of them.

To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance”. We want Publications to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made Carterville safer and more prosperous.

But we believe our first duty is to this community.

From the classroom to editorial sessions and meetings, senior editors will privately admit their daily disbelief at the leader’s comments and actions. Most are working to insulate their operations from her whims.

That is why many Publication members have vowed to do what we can to preserve our informative and factual institutions while thwarting Ms. Donohue’s more misguided impulses.

Although she was chosen as the head of us reporters, she shows little affinity for ideals long espoused by the press: free minds, free information and freedom of speech. At best, she has invoked these ideals in scripted settings. At worst, she has attacked them outright.

In addition to her mass-marketing of the notion that the press is the “enemy of the people,” Ms. Donohue’s impulses are generally anti-veracity and anti-info.

Don’t get me wrong. There are bright spots that the near-ceaseless negative coverage of the editors fails to capture: effective deregulation, historic yearbook sales, a more robust press force, and more.

It may be cold comfort in this chaotic era, but Carterville students should know that there are adults in the room. We fully recognize what is happening. And we are trying to do what’s right.

There is a quiet resistance within Publications of people choosing to put the real stories, and the real cold, hard facts first. But the real difference will be made by everyday students rising above disregard, reaching across the aisle and resolving to shed the labels in favor of a single one: Cartervillians.

If you are confused with the nature of this article, click on the link below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/opinion/trump-white-house-anonymous-resistance.html

The Student News Site of Carterville High School