Youth & Government: The Land of the Lions

Alexsis Nolan, Staff Writer

“I always have a fun time with the students, no matter what we are doing” said CHS Government teacher, Josh Hall. Youth and Government is an extracurricular activity that is for sophomores through seniors. These guidelines are enforced to ensure that members have passed government as a class. By being apart of the group you are able to be a part of the bill making process and a mock legislature. The mock senate and congress decides if your bill passes, or changes, in order to resolve problems in the government. Mr. Hall has been the advisor for five years in total. He advises the group on their field trips and aids those who are struggling with their bill. The group has many tasks such as making bills. If you are not a bill maker, you might be a lobbyist, which helps the bill maker. Three days are spent in Springfield for the mock legislature, and on the last day, awards are given out to many people. Last year, Neha Arun won the Best Lobbyist award. Other awards are also handed out, such as hardest working and most creative.
Youth and Government participants from schools across the state meet up in different locations throughout the year. This is in order to elect students for different positions in office. They meet twice a year to practice the mock legislature and for officer training. Later in the year, when meeting in Springfield, schools from the district meet to practice a full mock legislator. In this, the bills can pass or fail, in the congress and senate which is made up by the students. There are usually two to four bills per school. According to Mr. Hall, “This years group have two bills, one over the legal sale with fireworks in Illinois and the other dealing with abortion”.
The group and experience results in a better understanding of how the government works in terms of passing or failing bills. Students are able to create new friends throughout the trip. Sign-ups for Youth and Government for the 2018-2019 school year will be posted at the end of this semester. Y&G provides amazing opportunities to learn about the Illinois House of Representatives and Senate while making great friends along the way!